Wednesday, April 11, 2012

He Is Risen!--We Have Lice!

I look forward to Easter--like any Christian would.  I look forward to the message of resurrection and life that compliment the intensity of Lent that has just past.  What I was not expecting were resurrected lice in my daughter's hair this Easter.  Now, truth be told, this is our second bout with the critters.  A few weeks ago, we did our unintended spring cleaning--washing sheets and pillows, stuffed animals (we have a lot)  quarantined in plastic bags on the upper bunk of  the girl's room.   Now, the first time it all reminded me of Lent--not Easter weekend!  Lent was passing (so I thought), not to be intruding on our resurrected celebration (s).  Ugh!

Now, I like resurrected animals, humans, Jesus especially but not the louse!  I know my daughter's head has become critical habitat for them in Freeborn County.  We also knew that lice was a bit of a problem at our school since our arrival.  The notices, sometimes weekly, about kids in our children's class having these pesky critters, are too numerous to count.  Unbelievably, to me, this is our first encounter for our family.  Our family of 7--five kids under 11--have been through a lot already.  Why not add this to our family's been there, done that list?   But something inside me just wants a break--especially during Easter.

Or maybe its the glow of Easter that just helps us through.  Yes, the history of the world is to turn on the death and resurrection of Christ.  But in many ways, the world before and after Easter is kind of the same. I have the same job and family (thankfully), the same burdens, the same people that were dead before Easter have not experienced the resurrection, and the same world with its hope and corruption, wars and peace still remain.  But the Good News, as I see it, is our life remains with a resurrected glow.  As I say in funeral messages, we live through the tough times not from them.  The Holy Spirit gives us the power and opportunity to say that this trial, "This death is not the final word of my life."  Resurrection is!

So in that spirit, even though we were banned from our family Easter dinner this year-call it "holy quarantine" we proclaim to the darkness and yes lice of the world, "He is Risen!"   That maybe reverses the beginning title, "Have Lice, but He is Risen."  It makes all the difference!

Pastor Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment